Current:Home > InvestDonald Trump is on the hook for $88.3 million in defamation damages. What happens next? -Capitatum
Donald Trump is on the hook for $88.3 million in defamation damages. What happens next?
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 09:45:38
NEW YORK (AP) — For years, Donald Trump hurled insults at E. Jean Carroll, saying the advice columnist fabricated a sexual assault allegation against him to sell a book.
Will Trump keep that up, now that he’s been hit with a $83.3 million defamation judgment?
A jury on Friday found that Trump had maliciously damaged Carroll’s reputation in 2019 after she went public with her accusations. Jurors awarded her $18 million to compensate for the personal harm she experienced, then added $65 million more to punish Trump — and maybe prevent him from continuing to go after her on social media.
A different jury concluded last May that Trump was responsible for sexually abusing Carroll in a Manhattan department store dressing room in 1996. Those jurors awarded Carroll $5 million. If both judgments stand, Trump would owe her a total of $88.3 million.
Trump and his lawyers have promised to appeal.
A look at the verdict and where the case might go from here:
THE ACCUSATION
Carroll said she was shopping at the Bergdorf Goodman store on Fifth Avenue in 1996 when she bumped into Trump, who lived nearby. She said they recognized each other. At the time, Carroll had a column in Elle magazine and was the host of a cable TV talk show called “Ask E. Jean.”
FILE - E. Jean Carroll leaves Federal court, Jan 26, 2024, in New York. A jury is trying to determine if the $83 million defamation judgement will be enough to deter Trump from continuing his attacks on Carroll. The jury hit Trump with the exorbitant defamation award Friday, finding the former president maliciously damaged Carroll’s reputation after she accused him of sexually assaulting her in a Manhattan department store. (AP Photo/Yuki Iwamura, File)
In court testimony and in her memoir, Carroll said she and Trump went to the store’s lingerie section and then into a dressing room as each tried to persuade the other to try on a lacy item. When they moved into the dressing room, she said, Trump pushed her into a wall, pulled down her tights and sexually assaulted her. Carroll said she broke free and ran.
After she wrote about the alleged encounter in 2019, Trump, who by then has been elected president, told reporters he had no idea who Carroll was, that her accusation was “totally false” and that she motivated by a desire to sell books.
THE FIRST TRIAL
Carroll sued Trump for defamation in 2019, saying his statements about her were false and damaged her reputation. That claim wound up being bogged down for years over the legal question of whether, in denying the allegations, Trump had been fulfilling his duties as president. Trump claimed that the presidency shield him from liability against the defamation lawsuit.
In the meantime, New York changed its law to give sexual abuse survivors a fresh chance to sue over attacks that happened in the distant past. Carroll was one of the first people to take advantage, filing a new legal claim against Trump alleging that he had raped her. She also sued over things he had said about her after leaving the White House.
A jury heard testimony in that lawsuit last year and found that while Carroll had not proved she had been raped, under New York’s definition of that crime, Trump had sexually abused her.
The jury awarded Carroll $2 million for the abuse and nearly $3 million for Trump’s public comments about her, which it said were defamatory — and therefore not protected free speech.
THE SECOND TRIAL
With the main legal issues resolved, one matter remained: Had Carroll also been damaged by Trump’s comments while he was still in the White House.
U.S. District Judge Lewis A. Kaplan ruled that there would need to be a new trial to decide that claim, but that trial did not need to revisit the issue of whether Trump had assaulted Carroll or whether the things he had said about her were defamatory. This trial would decide how much more, if anything, Trump owed Carroll for things he had said about her on June 21-22, 2019.
Trump and his lawyers have been outraged that they did not get a chance to make a new argument that he was innocent, but Kaplan said they had already lost that fight.
“It is a very well-established legal principle in this country that prevents do-overs by disappointed litigants,” Kaplan told the lawyers on the day Trump testified in the second trial. “He lost it and he is bound. And the jury will be instructed that, regardless of what he says in court here today, he did it, as far as they’re concerned. That is the law.”
FILE - Former President Donald Trump speaks after exiting the courtroom for a break at New York Supreme Court, Dec. 7, 2023, in New York. A jury is trying to determine if the $83 million defamation judgement will be enough to deter Trump from continuing his attacks on E. Jean Carroll. The jury hit Trump with the exorbitant defamation award Friday, Jan. 26, finding the former president maliciously damaged Carroll’s reputation after she accused him of sexually assaulting her in a Manhattan department store. (AP Photo/Eduardo Munoz Alvarez, File)
WHAT’S NEXT?
Trump’s legal team is appealing the verdict in the first case and has promised an appeal of the second one, too.
“It will not deter us. We will keep fighting. And I assure you, we didn’t win today, but we will win,” said Trump’s lawyer, Alina Habba.
Among other things, his team wants higher courts to rule that Trump was within his rights to forcefully deny Carroll’s allegations and suggest she had ulterior motives.
“Everyone has a right to defend themselves,” Habba said.
Trump’s lawyers also are contesting Kaplan’s ruling that the jury in the second trial did not need to revisit whether Trump was liable for sexual assault, and that the judge unfairly limited what Trump’s lawyers could say in front of the jury.
Appeals will go to a panel of judges in New York. The appeals eventually could reach the U.S. Supreme Court for the justices to consider.
In the meantime, Trump has put more than $5.5 million in an escrow account to potentially cover the cost of the first verdict while the appeals play out.
WHAT IF TRUMP KEEPS SAYING PUBLICLY THAT CARROLL MADE IT UP?
Carroll could bring a new lawsuit over each new comment. Potentially, new trials would have to be held at which juries could pile on additional damages.
The $88.3 million in judgments against Trump are actually less than what some of his supporters have faced in recent defamation cases.
A jury last year decided that Rudy Giuliani, the former New York City mayor and Trump ally who tried to keep the-then president in power after he lost the 2020 election, owed $148 million to two former Georgia election workers for spreading a conspiracy theory about them. Juries in Texas and Connecticut have hit Infowars host Alex Jones with $1.5 billion in defamation judgments for promoting a false claim that the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting was a hoax.
Unlike Giuliani and Jones, Trump might have the financial resources to pay a huge judgment. He reported having about $294 million in cash or cash equivalents on his most recent annual financial statement, for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2021. That’s in addition to the value of his real estate assets, which Trump has claimed are worth billions of dollars.
Still, Trump faces other potential financial liabilities. He is awaiting a verdict in a civil fraud trial, where New York state has asked that he forfeit $370 million in what officials say were ill-gotten gains from loans and deals made using financial statements that exaggerated his wealth.
veryGood! (7493)
Related
- Man charged with murder in death of beloved Detroit-area neurosurgeon
- Why AP isn’t using ‘presumptive nominee’ to describe Trump or Biden
- Kate, Princess of Wales, apologizes for altering family photo that fueled rumors about her health
- What is the best protein powder? Here's what a dietitian says about the 'healthiest' kind.
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- CHUNG HA is ready for a new chapter: 'It's really important from now to share my stories'
- Alabama state lawmaker Rogers to plead guilty to federal charges
- Libraries struggle to afford the demand for e-books, seek new state laws in fight with publishers
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- US inflation likely stayed elevated last month as Federal Reserve looks toward eventual rate cuts
Ranking
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- NAACP urges student-athletes to reconsider Florida colleges after state eliminates DEI programs
- How a wandering white shark’s epic journey could provide clues for protecting them
- Why are the Academy Awards called the Oscars? Learn the nickname's origins
- USA women's basketball live updates at Olympics: Start time vs Nigeria, how to watch
- Retiring in America increasingly means working into old age, new book finds
- Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine bypasses Trump-backed Bernie Moreno with US Senate primary endorsement
- Private jet was short on approach to Virginia runway when it crashed, killing 5, police say
Recommendation
Eva Mendes Shares Message of Gratitude to Olympics for Keeping Her and Ryan Gosling's Kids Private
Oregon governor wants tolling plan on 2 Portland-area freeways scrapped
Airbnb is banning the use of indoor security cameras in the platform’s listings worldwide
Crash of small private jet in rural Virginia kills all 5 on board, authorities say
Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
Airbnb is banning the use of indoor security cameras in the platform’s listings worldwide
Mistrial declared in fired Penn State football team doctor’s lawsuit over 2019 ouster
Emma Stone won, but Lily Gladstone didn’t lose